Friday, October 17, 2008

Florida

I know I told everyone that I was going to Florida to visit the Wright's a few weeks ago, so finally, here are the pictures! David is a lawyer on the church ranch there. I cannot believe how huge it is! Miles and miles and miles . . . There are horses behind their house and nothing but land for a view out of their bedroom window. It is so cool! I saw wild turkeys, bald eagles, cranes, and egrets (which look like bowling pins hanging out with the cattle), deer, and who knows what else! The only things I have left to see on my next trip there are wild hogs and and alligators, although we did buy some gator jerky for the guys back home, but neither Jon nor Greg has actually tried it yet . . . and you know I'm not going to! This is on the plane ride into Orlando (thanks to a nonstop on Southwest purchased through a "ding" fare, gotta love it). I told you Neal will smile for the camera! He was having such a good time. He was SO good on the plane! I was lucky that both there and on the way back the flight was only half full so I got to bring on the carseat. Ok, Neal did not stop flirting with Tarah! He would always laugh and smile for her. More than for me. I'm not gonna lie, I was jealous. Natalie kept trying to run away from the camera . . . Ok, family, please tell me if this face reminds you of Grandpa Fales, my dad's dad. Natalie had obviously been practicing with her dolls - she loved trying to feed Neal a bottle!A-1-A, beach front avenue! (Anyone? Anyone?) I saw this street sign from the beach parking lot and totally flashed back to Vanilla Ice.I was worried about Neal's delicate skin, because supposedly you're not supposed to put sunscreen on them until they are 6 months old. So Dave created this little shelter with their chairs and a towel so Neal could chill and watch the waves crash. Neal's view from his throne. After he wouldn't sit under there any more, I dressed him in some light clothes head to toe - and borrowed a hat from Natalie. It's not too girly, right? He's gonna die when he sees these pictures someday! We went to this really yummy seafood restaurant in Cocoa Beach - unfortunately the kiddies weren't so happy about it . . . This may have been the only minute all of us were at the table together . . . They took turns walking Natalie around, showing her the fish tanks to keep her entertained, and Neal screamed most of the time, so I had to take him outside to try to calm him down, and then Tarah took him for me for a couple of minutes so I could eat . . . ah, life :) I packed pretty much as if I was going to visit one of my sisters (basically, I didn't bring what I thought I could borrow) so when the one neutral baby towel was in the wash, Neal got this: On Sunday, Dave drove us around the ranch. Near a citrus orchard, we passed this abandoned house! So scary. We passed another really cool abandoned house too. How does that happen to houses anyway? Us on the plane ride back. I was trying to take pictures of me and Neal and the man across the aisle volunteered to take one for us. When I saw him, he just looked like this businessman and I thought he might even be bugged having a baby so close - that type. (I really try not to judge people- and here is proof why you shouldn't!). After he took the picture, he asked all about Neal, and went off about how children are the most wonderful thing in the world and how much joy they bring you. He talked about his son and daughter and how it was so important that family always come first, and how children need good values and morals in their lives, and how it has to start in the home. His family goes to church together (they don't seem to mind which denomination), but his daughter is 14, and he is super worried about her friends and starting to date and everything and trying to decide what his rules for her are going to be. I shared with him the standards in the For Strength of Youth (I never thought to carry one of those around to give away though, but it seemed exactly what he was looking for). I was so refreshed to find someone like that, and mentioned the name of our church several times, hoping he would remember that what I shared with him came from there. Looking back, I should have given him a Book of Mormon - I even carry one in my diaper bag now - what was I thinking? Ah! I just hope he was touched by what we stand for and maybe will invite some missionaries in one day. Why is it not automatic for me to offer to others what I know brings happiness and peace, the fullness of the gospel? I am so thankful for the truth in this church, and that the standards are set and constant, and I know what to teach my children because I know what the Lord wants me to teach them. It is such a blessing! Shortly after the last picture was taken, Neal had a diaper incident . . . I'll spare you the details, but needless to say, there was no piece of wearable clothing left. So, he left the plane like this. He doesn't seem to mind :) Tarah (and fam), thank you SO much for having us! I felt so at home, and you totally took such great care of us! We came for a whole week, but it went by way too fast! She is an amazing cook, so of course we ate such yummy food (including homemade caramels, yum!), and we just had so much fun hanging out, going into town and shopping for house decorations, going to the beach, and talking and talking and talking some more :) I miss you guys so much! We love you!

4 comments:

Kristina said...

How fun! I love all of the pictures, but my favorite has got to be the last one-- it made me laugh! He's so cute. Sounds like you guys had a blast! I'm glad you got to do that!

Katie Sterling said...

I LOVE the picture of naked Neal. What a chunk! But surprisingly his face looks skinnier? Maybe thats because his body is so cute and chubbby! And he is sure growing up. He looks like a little boy now instead of a baby! Crazy! I'm jealous of your trip. The beach looks wonderful. Glad you had fun!

Rebekah said...

Liz... you look SO PRETTY in all these pictures... have you lost weight? and I love how you are doing your make-up...kinda looks like how you used to do it in college or something...maybe more bronzer or eye-liner or something?? anyways, you look so great and that trip looked amazing and so fun! I can't wait to see little neal... I love you!
love, Rebekah

Shelley said...

oh liz . . . it looks like you had so much fun! and you look so pretty in all your pictures! Neal is getting so big and more person like . . . where is the time going? I'm glad you had such a fun trip.