Sunday, March 22, 2009

2009 HHMI Research Fellowship!

Some of you know that I applied for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Research Training Fellowship several months ago. Well, I found out Friday morning that I was selected as one of the 2009 fellows! Essentially, it means that my third year of medical school will be entirely paid for (the fellowship comes with a $38,000 stipend and Duke financial aid will cover our living expenses) and that I can put the title of "HHMI Research Fellow" on my resume. They will also fly me out to a couple national meetings to talk about my research. To spare you all the boring details, I'll just say that I will be studying brain tumor metabolism using a new MRI technique. Anyway, just wanted to share the good news. And maybe brag a little. (It's my blog. Deal with it.) Point of clarification: the research will be done at Duke, I will just be funded by HHMI.

12 comments:

The Harrises said...

I'm dealing with it and I think it's awesome. Congrats to you and the family---although what does this mean for the family? Liz you want to come and bunk in West Virginie?

Brett said...

Jon Dewey, you are my hero!

Katie Sterling said...

I always knew you were a good fellow old chap. Congrats

- Katie

Melissa said...

Good work! Sounds like you will be having some crazy times studying brain tumor metabolism. :-)

Kristina said...

Jan you are the man. Seriously.

Chel said...

Congrats guys! That is great! Way to go John!

Lowell said...

Words cannot express the sheer joy I feel at such a moment.

Alas, "our" song will need to suffice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0&NR=1

Camille said...

Wow! That is really exciting. congratulations!

Chad and Lisle said...

Does that mean that you can afford a permanent full-time personal grounds maintenance professional (i.e. weed puller) yet? Just wonderin? Congrats.

Tracie Frost said...

Yea!! Congratulations!

Brianne & Jarod said...

WOW! That is GREAT news Jon! CONGRATS to you!!

Rebekah said...

Congrats JOn, that is seriously so awesome!
love, Rebekah