Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Neal turned 2!

Neal had a birthday on June 16 . . . it was SO fun! He was so excited about everything. Jon took most of the day off and we had such a great time together as a family. Birthday breakfast of Lucky Charms :)
Jon had the idea to have him open his presents in the morning so that he could enjoy them all day. He is really into soccer these days, so we made sure he was set:
He actually saw me get this soccer outfit at Costco and tried to pull it off the hanger and told me he wanted to put it on, but I successfully hid it from him for the next month, and when he opened it insisted he put it on right away, even over his jammies!
Jon picked this ball out for him (a 2010 World Cup replica) . . . he has some other soccer balls that he loves too, but Jon wanted him to have a real one since he always gets so excited when he sees other people's real ones, and sure enough he LOVES it! He calls it his "happy birthday ball". It's a size three so he can play with it when he gets on a real team :)
And then he wouldn't let go of it . . . even to open his next present! He just kept his hand on it and was trying to open his present with one hand! So I had to help him :)
But then, as soon as he saw what it was, wanted to put them on . . . soccer cleats!! Jon got some a little while ago to play soccer with the guys from church, and Neal had been obsessed with them, wanting to wear them, all of the time. Thank you, Payless! I got him these and the white velcro shoes seen in the later pictures.
We went to the Natural Science Museum in Raleigh on recommendation from my friend Tarah. Here we are meeting the animals . . . Neal's wondering why he's supposed to smile for a picture with a little alligator in his face . . .
And the snake . . . check out my sweet stroller btw . . . LOVING the car seat adapter for her and the snack tray for him, and they way it glides and turns for me :)
Playing in the Discovery Room . . . love the little look on his face here, because it's one he makes a lot but not really in picture moments, just when he's talking.
Of course he wanted to play catch with the animals - and pretty much was just excited to climb up and down the stairs!
Oscar brought his mom, and Neal was SO excited that he came . . . he's his best little friend. In fact, he often pretends he's going bye-bye, and when you ask him where, it's always to Oscar's house to see Oscar and Adelaide (he loves his little sister too!). They kept stacking these things and knocking them over and getting the biggest kick out of it! I really wish I knew where I could buy some actually.
Max and his parents were just down the road at a different museum, and just stopped by to play for a little bit before we left . . . Max is one of Neal's favorite friends too, and they get a long great. I have to say that because that's not the case with Neal and everyone . . . especially the innocent, quiet ones :( As sweet as Neal is . . . hmmm.
Birthday dinner - poppyseed chicken and watermelon. I don't get many pictures with my sweet boy . . . oh how I love him! I LOVE spending my days with him. He is so much fun, and just affectionate and loving as can be.
Me and Kensi
Neal LOVES his little sister . . . he is SO good and sweet and thoughtful to her.
Sort of embarrassing, but this was my quick attempt at making a soccer cake . . . I should have planned ahead and made it round and done the lines all the way around . . . such a bad mom.
Family picture! Somehow we didn't get a pic with ours friends that were there too :(
It was such a special day! I am so incredibly blessed to be Neal's mom and especially to have him first . . . he has taught me so much about life - to enjoy it!

9 comments:

Kristina said...

Oh my gosh--I LOVED getting to see his cute birthday reaction pictures, and Kensington is getting so grown up! I gotta hold her! I always feel like a "bad mom" too when I make my kids birthday cakes because I'm just not that good at it, but I thought yours looked great! And I'm sure he loved it! I love the years when I take them to the grocery store and let them look through the cake book and pick one. =) See you guys soon! Can't wait!

Marian said...

Wait, since when are you a bad mom for making a birthday cake??? I think it's beautiful, and I'm sure Neal enjoyed it, which is all that matters. Cute pictures!

Rebekah said...

I love that Neal had one hand on the soccer ball and one trying to open his other present, sooo cute and so funny! What a cute birthday! You're way too hard on yourself about that cake, by the way...it's so cute! Are you kidding me?!?!? You're so great! haha happy birthday, Neal!

Rebekah said...

1) you look SO beautiful and amazing...you did not just have a baby!
2) I can't handle how cute neal is...my favorite thing you talked about what how he was trying to open his presents with one hand because he was so proud with his new soccer ball...i love when kids get so proud/excited about stuff.
3) I can NOT wait to hold kenzie!
love you,
Rebekah

Lisa T Hansen said...

Your children are darling! And everybody is lucky to get to see them on such a cool blog. You all look very happy!

Katie Sterling said...

He is adorable! It looks like an awesome b-day. I can't believe how big Kensington is already. Wish we could come out to Cody too!

Ashton said...

Liz, thanks for the comment on our blog! Your new baby is so cute! We'll have to get our 2 year olds together to play when we're back! You did a great job with that cake. This is my first time out of the country, it is so different than the US. I hope you're having a great summer!

Jessica Gillespie said...

Pretty much the most adorable family ever! How is it being a mom of a two year old and a little baby girl? If it's tough you don't show it! I just love you Lizzy!

Chelsea said...

Super cute!
Liz,
I have to ask what kind of stroller you have. I'm looking for a double stroller with the option of a sit and stand in the back. Do you think 2 car seats would fit in it side by side?
Sorry to bug you.....